Sports Formula 1

StupidFlandrs48

World’s sweatiest casual
is a Pre-Contributor
Hulk is love, Hulk is life.
Nico
H
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
LKENBERG

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I doubt even if Lando caught Max that he could’ve passed. The only actual on track passes I can recall after lap 1 were when Perez/Stroll/Magnussen were climbing through with their big tyre offsets - obvs the guys who stopped passing Perez initially too. (and the last lap or so when Bottas lost like 4 spots)

Really seems a poor track for F1.. it looks good and feels good for drivers but overall it produced a very boring race.

Also shoutout for making points for everyone - Albon doesn’t retire in that case. Plus K-Mag’s charge at the end would end up meaning something (also passed Ricciardo right near the end)

StupidFlandrs48

World’s sweatiest casual
is a Pre-Contributor
Thought about it for a day and I think I came away from that weekend pretty satisfied. I find it funny how a lot of F1 fans seem to write off genuinely good races from the last couple years because all the action was limited to the midfield while Max ran away in front. But when we see an otherwise uneventful race punctuated by genuine uncertainty over who'll cross the line first... the goalposts get moved and Imola gets more calls to be removed from the calendar. I for one believe that those last 10 laps were worth the price of admission for the whole race. Not the best weekend we've had so far this year (that honor still goes to Miami), but worth waking up early for nonetheless.
Really seems a poor track for F1.. it looks good and feels good for drivers but overall it produced a very boring race.
I half-agree with this. On the one hand it's an objectively bad track for overtaking (can we revert to 2020/21 when they accidentally made the pit straight DRS overpowered?), but on the other hand I absolutely love how the drivers are able to express the "language" of their driving on such a tight, demanding, old-fashioned track. Lando's charge wouldn't have been half as satisfying to watch if his squirming through those chicanes and elevation changes wasn't so visible, you don't get that everywhere.

Either way, looking forward to watching Monaco live on Saturday and then waiting for a replay on Sunday. Classic stuff. Leclerc curse will continue.

I think the big issue with Imola is the width. This is something you see in both life and the sims as well. I know it would be tight, but I question if there is scope for a slightly longer straight DRS, or if you can extend the final double corner to create a double DRS. I don't think there's any real reason why we can't have tight tracks, Monaco gets special treatment for a reason. What I do question is if there is something that can be done.

Even making the sector two squared corners a sweeping right turn to really show tire deg differences with the way grip would work down there would be a very interesting addition to the track.

What I did like was the compound choice. I think with a little bit of overtaking help, or some non-drs overtaking zones, Imola has the potential to be a very fun track where teams can actually risk the punishing double stop on soft compounds.

I'm also not a fan of Monaco anyway. But whatever.

Coronis

Impressively round
Alonso was the biggest surprise for me today. Congrats LeClerc and Ferrari. Red Bull not looking good at all. Great jobs from Albon and Gasly to get in Q3. Williams first points likely on the cards. Also booya Piastri outqualifying Norris. Nab him lap 1 Oscar.

I'm also not a fan of Monaco anyway. But whatever.
Ugh I honestly hate that its so ingrained with history and such and being part of the Triple Crown. Almost every year its the most boring race - granted if there are on track passes they are generally exciting.

Coronis

Impressively round
Disgusting race. Ocon is an absolute moron. Magnussen less so today but just wasn’t a smart move from him. Get out of jail free for Sainz followed by a 77 lap bore fest, even with Stroll’s puncture. Starting 10 finished in the exact same order - I didn’t see any serious attempts at passes amongst them after the restart. Bottas should’ve won driver of the day, made 2 overtakes on track on the same compound! Glad Albon got some points on the board for Williams.

Hopefully the Indy 500 isn’t rain cancelled and I get some decent motor racing today.

Some nice results despite the race, Charles finally gets his home win, the radio at the end was great. Piastri finally gets his first podium of the year and the whole mess of a weekend for Red Bull has moved Checo to 5th in the standings and leaves Red Bull only 24 points ahead of Ferrari.

Pace at the top looks real close, really hope we can have an overall competitive year, even if the WDC isn’t.
Looks like I’m getting my wish so far this season! Pretty cool.

Also I do admit I was curious to see how Bearman might do in a Haas at Canada :P. Genuinely curious to see if they will actually pull the trigger on a race ban for KMag at some point this season, hard to imagine he’ll keep it clean long enough for the points to expire.

StupidFlandrs48

World’s sweatiest casual
is a Pre-Contributor
I got my earlier forecast backwards; I overslept for quali but got up for the race, and... well, at least the pileup was fun.

If there's any silver lining to this race, it's this:
1. POINTS FOR ALBONO LETS FUCKING GOOOOOOO
2. Because Max and RB performed so poorly, this race essentially acts like a big barrel 'o' free points for Macca and Ferrari. This will make future races more exciting as it's more likely to lead to a real title fight, especially in the constructors. Checo, you'd better get your shit together or Ferrari will be miles ahead by the summer break.

Expecting Monaco to be an exciting race is definitely not feasible, but wow this race was boring...

I'm also wondering if Checo is gone and who'll replace him next year, hopefully it's Sainz lol, that history would be nice

Bold predictions my gf and I made over dinner tonight.

Our prominent storylines. Ocon starts to lose a couple of FP1s to Doohan. He drives well, gets given contract. Likely good marketing given popularity of Australian drivers. Also bias.
This is also kinda based on the feeling that Perez turned down the 1 year deal. Then underperformed. Then failed. So the deal was taken away completely. Perez finds himself seatless due to hubris. We call stop calling him Checo and start calling him Chicarus.
Sainz signs with Williams. The reveal of this is delayed to work out wtf they are going to do with Sargeant from now until the end of the year. They likely pick up Mick Shuey for some races, or just tell Sargeant to sell himself well to other racing comps. Vowels has sold Sainz on them being a top team from 2026.
Riccardo is put in to Red Bull for a mixture of highest highs and out of race money. Seen as too valuable commercially.
Ocon is given a chance to be the lead driver in a team in a hope to bring back his f2 consistency days as he mentors Lawson on how to hate his teammates. Lawson is already quite proficient.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)